Sunday, March 15, 2009

Creativity

Creativity:

1. the state or quality of being creative.
2. the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts. 
3. the process by which one utilizes creative ability: Extensive reading stimulated his creativity.

So the show at the Whitehouse went well.

Until the cops showed up.

Was a good set, people were loving it. Busted out my best drum solo yet. But apparently, as rumor has it, that some kid called his dad( a cop), and said he was out partying at the Whitehouse with his friends. Great plan, man. Anyways, they came and ID'ed everyone, shut the bar down, blah blah. I guess they got a 25,000 dollar fine or something. They aren't shut down for good at least. I grew up in that bar, hah. So all the minors and I took the slightly long trek up to my house, which was an event in itself. Very fun. We then partied at my house ALL night. I didn't go to bed till about 6 in the morning, apparently slept with Krissta, as having a friend sleep in your bed automatically implies sex was involved, which was not the case. Woke up about an hour later and had a very hazy day at work. Amazing how fast word travels. I got to work and the whole place was talking about what happened. I think I've been pin-pointed as the cause of the whole ordeal. They seem to think it's my responsibility to not have my friends, and the bands friends and thier friends, to not come to our shows. Last time I checked it was the bar staff that are supposed to be keeping the minors out. 

So that was all good fun.

I think I feel I'm at the point where I could part ways with the band if I were to move. I was heavily considering it, but I realized I have WAY to much going on this summer to pull it off. I have a Paramore/No Doubt concert to go to, about 3 days from Comic-Con in San Diego, where I will be staying for at least 7 days. Plus the skate competition here the weekend after. Considering the debt I'm in, I don't see moving being a very realistic option at the moment. End of summer though, no matter what happens, I will be out of this town.

On a slightly related note, I've been second guessing myself alot on where my true passion lies. I honestly think it may lie in game design. I've been listening to alot of the soundtracks from all my SNES games. Namely Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, both from 1995 and still considered two of the greatest RPG's of all time, if not greatest games. 

Yay! Time for my rant on videogames. Been a long time coming. So I was watching some video's on IGN.com ( a popular review website of games). They did a special article on the top 100 game developers, and they had some video's of people asking some of them questions. One was asking the great question of "Are videogames art?."

"Art is not a self-defining business" One dev said. They make some very interesting points on that. Video games are still a very young medium. Yet they are the largest and most profitable entertainment medium around. They mention that people who play the games obviously consider them an art form.  But people who don't still see them as a toy, as something for children that rots your brain, blah blah. They are to me, the most complex and creative forms of expression. They are a mix of everything people love. Writing, animation, drawing, music, acting. Not to mention things like level design and gameplay.

How could someone deny that as art? I mean, of course negative things can revolve around it, just like anything. I want to be a part of that. I want to be involved in making that game that will bring a tear to your eye, make you scream in suspense, make you laugh your ass of with your friends. You can feel so much more invloved when playing games. You take a beautiful peice of art, and you make your experience your own, everytime. Just like you could listen to song and have it mean a whole different thing one time then another. Even more so with games, as the actual experience can be different everytime. Take different paths, good vs bad, ect. It is genius, and I really wish I could put it into words how beautiful and memorable they are in my life. No doubt, I've abused my love for it with some of them, appreciating them to the point of boredom and seclusion from my friends, which actually benefitted me in the end( something me and a friend talked about the other day that I was gonna get into here but may save it). But when you play something like the above mentioned games and take it all in. The romance, the betrayal, the sounds, the hidden things. When you hear that one song that will always stay with you, and every time will give you a unique feeling that you don't associate with anything else.

That is art to me.

SO....I really need to get my ass back to school. The video game industry is one of the hardest to get into. It's becoming alot easier with the concept of free gaming on the internet, and services such as Xbox live arcade, but you need a really unique idea. Something that has never been done before, or greatly improve upon an idea and make it your own. I'm at a late start. Having an education greatly helps your chances, although not nessicary. I also think going to an art school would be a great experience.

I'm gonna stop here as I may be boring someone. 

Also, I think I am gonna dread my hair. I have been thinking about doing it for a few years, but haven't had the motivation to go through with it. It seems like a whole journey in itself, as Skylar mentioned on her blog. I also feel it will better represent my personality and who I am. I don't think I have met anyone who has liked the idea of me getting dreads, but people's personal opinion of my looks are the last thing that concerns me. Thing is, I WANT THEM NOW. I don't think my damn hair is long enough, and when it's this length it grows SO damn slow. I guess I could deal with some short dreads for a while, so I don't know. I'm gonna look into it alot more, but it IS gonna happen soon. OH, and I am gonna couple these dreads and the whole experience with quitting smoking!!! I need to prepare for it heavily, as I enjoy smoking WAY to much, but this might help.

OFF TO BED for me though....I'm still lacking sleep from that party on Friday.

Sleep well everyone!

Quote today is from a note on Taylor Dakin's facebook, which just automatically stuck with me the moment I read it. 

"Thier is no future beyond the decision I am yet to make" Taylor Dakin

7 comments:

  1. This whole entry is great. Except the first part, but I don't need to get into that. My reply won't be anything new.

    That is great about the video games, really! Definitely get into that. It obviously sounds like something you would be very happy doing. Art school would probably be good eh. Maybe look into something that can be followed by one of the graphic design courses or whatever? Or just the gaming courses in general. I don't even know what sort of prereq. there would be for those. Just a portfolio maybe?

    Hey, I like the idea of you getting dreads! But I'm biased and have loved them for many, many years. I'm honestly a little hesitant as to finding out what my peers/friends will say. Not as in I care, just because I'm interested. Whenever they see someone with dreads, they make all the comments, but none are exactly good. I'm curious as to if that will stay the same for me, or if they will act nice. Anyways, about the length of your hair. It is usually better to start your dreads short if you have the chance, because then you know, they will be mature already when they are long and yada yada. Personally I wouldn't have done mine until they were short enough to put up into a pony tail, which I did.

    Quitting smoking is a great idea!! I wish you the best of luck for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha very long comment...and it's appreciated.

    As for the game thing, the Art Institute in Vancouver has a course designed specifically for game design, so I am gonna look into that.

    And I stand corrected, everybody except one person, likes the idea of me getting dreads. :P

    I don't want them long enough to pony tail though, I just think after backcombing they would be a little too short right now.

    And thank you, I hope the quitting goes well too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And damn, reading back though my post...I really need to do better proof-reading. I obviously didn't get those spelling errors the first time through...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well even better, there you go.

    Bah I suppose so. I'm just not such a fan of the little pineapple looking ones, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. man, lee....next time i'm up i'll need at three days with you. one for gaming, one for art and one for freedom. and on the fourth day we rest...with fishing rods!

    (get dreads. get a tan. get reggae)

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey honey...just an addendum to the issue of dreads. should come as no surprise that i would love them...do you remember how bummed i was when you decided you made me chop off your beautiful 8" braid? lol.

    ReplyDelete